After spending a month home for winter break, where you watched all 42 seasons of the Simpsons, you’re excited to finally get back to school. After reuniting with all your brothers or sisters, you know it’s time to face the inevitable…Spring Rush. For girls this involves the rushes hiking for miles in the winter in dresses and sororities getting reported to PHA by DPhiE for having balloons in your house which are obviously against regulation. For guys it involves drinking beers. And eating while drinking beers.
Now obviously to appease the University and Nationals, fraternities need to put on “sober” events. Well your treasurer already spent $2000 on getting rush shirts with Wiz Khalifa on it since no one told him that Wiz Khalifa has been irrelevant since 2011. Therefore, the budget for rush is already too low for the normal McDonalds 50 chicken nuggets challenge, so you need to do something inexpensive.
Since is too cold out too BBQ, but not too cold for girls to walk around to every sorority houses in heels, make meatballs and a ton of spaghetti. This recipe is easy to make for large groups and cheap as well. Add a jar or two of red sauce for the perfect meal for the rushes to learn about the fraternity. Then spend the next six hours trying to set up a brothers and rushes beer pong tournament that will fall apart after the first two games.
1 pound of lean ground beef (adjust recipe in proportion to the amount of ground beef)
1 small onion, diced finely
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of cayenne powder
1 Tablespoon of garlic powder
1 Tablespoon of onion powder
1 Tablespoon of sesame seeds
dash or two of hot sauce
1 Tablespoon of italian seasoning
1 Tablespoon of oregano
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes to taste
1/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup of italian bread crumbs
3 Tablespoons of parmesan cheese
1 jar of a tomato sauce
Note: This might seem like a lot of ingredients, but many of the spices you can eliminate or substitute. The essentials are really the beef, onion, garlic, milk, and bread crumbs.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. In a large bowl, begin by adding the ground beef, onion, and garlic. Next add the spices including the garlic powder, onion powder, sesame seeds, hot sauce, oregano, italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes. Combine all of the ingredients thoroughly with a spoon.
3. Add the milk, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese. Combine thoroughly.
4. Wash your hands and make sure they are a little wet. Grab the ground beef mixture with your hands and cup into small balls. Place the balls on to a baking sheet. Repeat until there is no more beef left. If the balls are not staying together, wet your hands a little bit more.
There is no reason to grease the baking sheet either since the meat will naturally release its grease when cooking.
5. Place the baking sheet in the oven and let cook for 20 minutes until browned and cooked through.
6. Heat up the tomato sauce in a small pot or pan. Add the meatballs and mix in.
7. Serve over pasta with extra parmesan cheese to top. After talk to rushes for the 40th time about what high school sport they played.