Gamma Grilled Vegetable Skewers
Everything in college is a competition, especially in fraternities. Whether the argument is over the best Fifa Player, fastest chugger, or who can drink the most hot sauce, the competitive spirit leads to new levels of stupidity. Your buddy does a keg stand for 20 seconds? You’re going to last 40 seconds. Your frat brother jumps off the roof into the pool? Best believe you’re going to jump from twice the height. Your best friend breaks his arm? Damn right you’re breaking both arms and a leg while you’re at it.
Now of course grilling is the ultimate test of manliness. Food is the most important thing for survival besides beer, so whoever makes it the best has all bragging rights. While these amateurs are rotating hot dogs on the grill with the skill of a New York City hot dog vendor, you’re going all out Bobby Flay style. Grilled vegetables are an essential side and enhance the flavor when thrown on top of any burger, hot dog, or steak. Get your skewers out and toss some marinaded vegetables on the grill while you roast your special Beer Can Chicken. Laugh at the competition as they burn all the hot dogs and overcook their pre-made burgers. It’s good to be the self proclaimed grill king.
1 zucchini cut into strips
1 carrot, peeled and cut on an angle into wide pieces
1 red bell pepper cut into small pieces
1 onion cut in half and then cut into sections large enough to be pierced by a skewer
1 jalapeño cut into small pieces (optional)
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
handful of cilantro
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
salt and pepper
1. Place all of the vegetables in a resealable bowl. Add all of the other ingredients into the bowl and coat the vegetables. Seal the bowl and let marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat up the grill to medium heat around 400 degrees.
3. Soak your skewers in cold water so they do not burn on the grill.
4. Before grilling, place all of the vegetables on the skewers.
5. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Rotate the skewer and cook for another 5.
6. Remove your vegetables and celebrate your grilling victory by doing a cannonball into the pool.